Thursday, May 16, 2013

Mutually Rewarding- SUNY Delhi Students Connect with Delarc


For several years, SUNY Delhi and The Arc of Delaware County (Delarc) have partnered together to develop opportunities for both students at SUNY Delhi and people with disabilities. Friendship, learning, and experience have been the mutual rewards of this partnership.

Olivia Nicholson, a Liberal Arts student, completed a Service Learning Project at Delarc’s Community Living Skills facility in Walton. And Alexandra Rogers, an Early Childhood Education student participated in an internship at Delarc’s Carousel Children’s Services (CCS) which is located at the SUNY Delhi Campus Child Care Center (DC4).

During her Service Learning Project, Olivia developed a strong bond with Tina Osadca.  Olivia shared, “I have a wonderful time with Tina.  I am so glad I met her, she has honestly become someone that I care about and think of often. It wasn't just a relationship built because of a service learning project, it was a mutual connection between two people because I can honestly say I enjoy every moment with Tina and it is real. We talk, we smile we laugh a lot together.” “I never would have thought I would bond with someone so strongly, and I bonded with a lot of people at Delarc because everyone is all so cool in their own way.”

Olivia wrote a letter to Tina illustrated with photos and pictures to commemorate their time together and celebrate their friendship. You can view photos of her letter at our Flickr site or click here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/delarc/sets/72157633496154811/

Alexandra Rogers has been an intern at CCS since October 2012. She shared her internship goals were to learn the basics of being a teacher in a classroom with special needs children.  She also wanted to learn more about autism and how autistic children interact with non autistic children.


She shared: “I have learned how important it is to be a positive and happy role model. I learned how to help children get out of their tantrum mode and also how to prevent tantrums. Being positive 100% of the time is a big thing I learned because your mood affects a child’s mood. Reinforcement is also a huge part of what I learned. “ “I have also learned a lot from the autistic children in the classroom. I learned that more enclosed chairs help to keep them calm and still. Also the use of a weighted spoon helps the child figure out his boundaries and put pressure on the weak bones. I learned how important it is to make them feel important. Some children came in the classroom in the morning in a bad mood. If you show them attention and love such as giving hugs it can really go a long way.” You can view photos of Alexandra working with the children at CCS on our Flickr site or click here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/delarc/sets/72157633512297914/

No comments:

Post a Comment